Thank you to all of the local residents, community partners, board members and volunteers who came out to support our “Burgers & Bikes” Community Day along the S-Line Rail Trail on Saturday, July 29. We were so inspired by the wonderful turnout and amazing vibe of the entire afternoon.
The event was organized by our Green Team Youth Corps to engage the community residents who live along and use Jacksonville’s S-Line Rail Trail, a 4.8-mile rails-to-trails multiuse path that connects seven urban neighborhoods from North Riverside to Trout River.
City Councilman Reginald Gaffney was on hand to hear community input on ways to improve the S-Line for residents, and the event ended with a bicycle giveaway for three lucky kids.
Special thanks to the following partners and supporters who made it such a huge success:
- Christ Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church, and the Men’s Ministry for our delicious hamburgers and hotdogs;
- Dj Ms. Tan for the awesome music and announcements;
- N. Florida Bicycle Club for helping us fit more than 50 kids with new helmets;
- UF Health Jacksonville TraumaOne for organizing the Bike Rodeo to teach bicycle safety;
- RouxArt for leading everyone in making beautiful medallions that will eventually be displayed as part of a larger art project along the S-Line;
- All the kids and adults who helped collect dozens of bags of litter;
- And, of source our Green Team youth for leading the effort
This is just one example of the many activities Groundwork Jacksonville hosts throughout the year to engage our community in cleaning and improving our city. Please stay up to date with all of our activities on our Facebook page or subscribe to our newsletter.