The Emerald Trail is a nationally recognized centerpiece attracting people to Jacksonville. It connects urban core neighborhoods that are valued as vital and desirable places to live, work, and visit. Jacksonville’s urban core neighborhoods are economically diverse and economically healthy. Urban core neighborhoods have a community ethic of active living and an outdoor orientation. Working together, neighbors are engaged in creating and sustaining their clean environment.
Our mission is to bring about the sustained regeneration, improvement and management of the physical environment by developing community-based partnerships which empower people, businesses and organizations to promote environmental, economic and social well-being. Our mission has been formally adopted by our governing board and is shared with the other 21 Groundwork Trusts across the country.
Community Engagement and Empowerment
- We create a safe environment for meaningful dialogue.
- We work with a broad range of stakeholders.
- We have fun as a way to build a sense of community.
- We listen to understand.
- We respond to the needs of the community.
- We work to improve people’s lives in a meaningful way.
- We look for innovative ways to solve community issues.
- We ask different questions in different ways.
- We inspire others to be part of their community’s success.
Change agent (creating a culture of change)
- We are committed to action.
- We are committed to work with, not in community.
- We foster the power in people for use in their own lives, their communities, and society.
- We base our decisions on research.
- We monitor and evaluate the impact of our work.
- We earn credibility by showing impact.